Monday 24 November 2008

You must be having a bath if you think you're half inchin' that...

After watching a few episodes of 'Little Britain: USA' I decided to see what the Americans thought of this sort of obscure humour. Its not for the faint of heart afterall. I took a peak at the imdb.com page for it and came across a number of Americans complaining about a couple of British comedians faking American accents and making a social statement about the country. Guess they got a taste of their own medicine.

Whenever you watch an American TV show and theres a British character they are always either an upper class twit or a total cockney. I for one do not sound like either. I don't find myself going up the apple and pears or drinking a cup of Rosy lee as the Americans TV producers would have you believe.

I can think of another five English accents without even thinking about it. We have Gerodie, Northumbrian, West country, Brummie, Cornish, Yorkshire....I know thats six but the list goes on and on. Thats just England. Go to Scotland and every different city and area seems to have its own accent.

So Americans, take note. We British don't just speak the Queen's English and we don't speak Cockney instead. We have a diverse language full of accents from thousands of years of history not just the two you portray us as having.

Mind you I won't be complaining about the whole being sophisticated idea. Thats one area where you've hit the nail right on the head.

Oh and hello Steph

Peace out!

No comments: